1.25.2008

church

As I was (not) so gently reminded by ang, it has been quite some time since I’ve posted here. I always feel a bit guilty because I am one of those I-read-your-blog-everyday-why-haven’t-you-posted-anything-new-in-two-weeks kind of people. So, I’ll give it a shot – the whole posting more often thing.

So, today, I’d like to pose a question for all two readers.

Is anyone else bothered by the lyrics “I will shout your fame” when referring to Christ?

Perhaps I am overly sensitive or judgmental or both. Or perhaps it was just the cumulative effects of a Starbucks in the lobby, the joke about emailing on the blackberry during service from people leading music on the platform and the very self-centered - not God focused - songs that had come before. Or the fact that I haven’t been in more than a handful of traditional (well not traditional in the historical church sense, but in the 3 praise songs with clapping and a little swaying, prayer, another song, prayer, sermon, song, benediction prayer sense) church services in the past four years or so, but I was pretty darn uncomfortable singing about shouting and fame when it was in reference to my very gentle-spirited, quiet and unassuming Jesus. I know there are extremely bold and quite rebellious aspects of His character discussed in the gospels as well as his gentleness and penchant for going off alone, but “shout His fame???” really? Shouting? And fame?

I was really missing How Great Thou Art and When I Survey…

Perhaps it’s not my community, but I hope to find one soon. It has been too long.

3 comments:

miz fuhrell said...

yes - bothered, that is.
I led worship with a wonderful guy who said that songs that use "I" or "me" as the primary pronoun "bug the living shit out of" him. Strong words, and it took me kind of by surprise, but coming from a guy who has written alot of beautiful, powerful worship music, it was a thought worth considering. And I find that I agree with him on that point more often than not.

Amber Mc said...

I agree, Ang. I choose all our worship music now and I'm overcome by how many songs are "me" based.

michelle said...

i generally feel that i'm self-absorbed enough as it is, so i really want to be more challenged to get out of the constant focus in...

how was it allowed to become the norm? i know that it poured over into all of aspects of church - this focus on the "I" in all of us. i wonder if it's simply the american influence. sad.

thanks to both of you for being sensitive as well.